Chromebooks aren’t known for their gaming capabilities, but owing to Linux support, Chromebook games are now better than ever, as you can now install and play a wide range of desktop-level games on Chrome OS. Steam is a popular digital game distribution platform that is now officially supported on Linux. As a result, you may run it on Chrome OS and play desktop games. The nice part is that you won’t have to switch to Developer Mode or install Crouton on your Chromebook. Things are much more basic now, and the setup is a pleasure. Additionally, the Steam Link app now allows you to stream Steam games. So, without further ado, let’s learn how to install and play Steam games on a Chromebook in the year 2021.
Install and Play Steam Games on a Chromebook (Updated 2021)
We’ve covered how to install and play Steam games on a Chromebook in this article. Along with that, we played a few Steam games to see if Chromebooks can be a credible desktop gaming alternative. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to run Steam on a school-issued Chromebook if the administrator has disabled Linux on it. However, if your Chromebook supports Android apps, you may use the Steam Link software to stream desktop games to it. After all of that, let’s have a look at the Linux way.
Run Steam Games on a Chromebook in 2021 (Linux Required)
1. First and foremost, follow the instructions in the linked article to install Linux on your Chromebook. Then, in Chromebook, activate GPU acceleration for Linux for better graphics and smoother gameplay. Don’t worry if GPU acceleration isn’t enabled; simply continue with the steps.
2. Then, open the Linux Terminal and run the command below. It will get your Chromebook’s Linux to the most recent version. Don’t worry if you get any errors; simply keep going.
3. Now, go to this URL to obtain the Steam setup file. It’s a DEB file for Linux, which is similar to the EXE format for Windows. Then, in the Files app, drag the DEB file to the “Linux” section.
5. After that, double-click the setup file and select “Install.” Steam will begin to install on your Chromebook.
6. After the installation, use the keyboard’s “Search” key to look for “steam.” After then, you should open it.
7. Alternatively, you can manually search for the Linux folder in the App Drawer. Open Steam after that. The Linux folder is usually found on the App Drawer’s last page.
8. Steam will now begin automatically downloading the requirements and libraries required to operate Steam on a Chromebook.
9. Steam will immediately launch after the upgrade. Log in to your Steam account now. If Steam does not appear after the upgrade, open it from the App Drawer manually. It’s worth noting that if you’re using your Chromebook’s trackpad, you may need to press down on it rather than soft-tapping it.
10. Finally, that’s all there is to it. Steam is working fine on a Chromebook. However, there is one more option you should enable.
11. Go to Settings -> Steam Play -> Steam Play -> Steam Play -> Steam Play -> Steam Play -> Steam Play -> Steam Play -> Steam Play -> Steam Play -> Steam Play -> Steam Click “OK” to enable Steam Play for all other titles. In the drop-down menu, make sure “Proton Experimental” is chosen. This will enable you to play a number of Windows games that aren’t natively available on Linux.
12. We tried to run Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on our Chromebook using Steam, but it didn’t work. Other less demanding games, such as Among Us, Stardew Valley, Squad, and Tank Force, worked flawlessly and without any visual issues. I propose that you try your favourite Steam games on your Chromebook to see whether they function.
Stream Steam Games on Your Chromebook With the Steam Link App (Play Store Support Required)
Instead of tinkering with Linux, you can get Steam to work on your Chromebook if it has Play Store support. To use Steam Link on your Chromebook, get it from the Google Play Store and install it. To stream desktop games to your Chromebook, you’ll need a Windows PC on your home network. Here’s how to do it.
1. Open Google Play Store and look for the Steam Link app (Free). Install the app now.
2. If you haven’t done so already, download it and install it on your Chromebook. Without one, you have the option of skipping it. You can use a keyboard and mouse to play.
3. I’m going to assume you’ve already got Steam installed on your Windows PC and connected to the local network through WiFi or Ethernet. Ethernet, on the other hand, is highly suggested if you want to play without experiencing lag. The Steam Link app is now capable of scanning the local network and displaying the name of the server. To connect your PC to your Chromebook, all you have to do is click on the button.
4. You’ll be connected to your PC’s Steam setup after a few automated tests. Now you may enjoy Steam games on your Chromebook. Enjoy!
List of Popular Chromebooks
Our tutorial will work with all of the following Chromebooks. It is not an exhaustive list and is only here to serve as an example.
|Brand Name||Model Name|
|Acer||Acer Chromebook 315|
|Acer Chromebook CB315-3H-C2C3|
|Acer Chromebook CB315-3HT-C296|
|Acer Chromebook CB315-3H-C4QE|
|Acer Chromebook CB315-2HT-44MJ|
|Acer Chromebook CB315-3HT-C3J0|
|Acer Chromebook CB315-3H-C5JS|
|Acer Chromebook CB315-3HT-C6XF|
|Acer Chromebook CB315-3H-C36A|
|Acer Chromebook CB315-3HT-C16B|
Play Your Heart Out with Steam Games on a Chromebook
So that was our quick guide on how to install Steam and play games on a Chromebook. While the installation process is not a one-click process as on Windows OS, it’s still very straightforward and all you need is a bit of knowledge with Linux. So go ahead and install numerous Steam titles to determine if your Chromebook can handle graphics-intensive games.
Anyway, that is all from us. But how has been your experience? Let us know in the comment box below. In case, Steam didn’t work for you then you can utilise GeForce Now on your Chromebook. It’s a cloud gaming service that does not require Linux support. On top of that, the game library is very big.